The History of Cardwell Family Practice
Cardwell is a small rural seaside town with a population of 800 people. During the winter months the town swells with the influx of the Grey Nomads.
Cardwell was founded in 1864 by George Dalrymple. The town was considered the most major port north of Bowen.
Health Services arrived in town in 1974 when Dr Robert Warnock decided to move his Practice to Cardwell. He set up his own private practice which was extremely successful, and he is long remembered in the Community for his dedication, friendly and caring nature. Dr Bob retired in 1986 and handed the reins over to Alan Scotton who cared for the residents until 1997.
Drs Clare Harkin, Catherine Crilly and Paul Colbrook continued to care for the residents of Cardwell until March 2000 when Dr Gawie Roux and his family decided to move to Cardwell. Queensland Health built the Dr RF Warnock Cardwell Community Health Building in 2004 and asked Dr Roux to co locate his private practice. Dr Roux left Cardwell on the 30th November 2016.
The New and current owners Julie McKay Registered Nurse and Carmen Edmondson Practice Manager bought the practice.
Cardwell is serviced by a Solo GP Dr Luhong Min. She is supported by our 2 Local Ambulance Officers and Local Hospitals situated in Ingham and Tully.
The team providing medical services to Cardwell and surrounding community are:
Dr Luhong Min
Julie McKay- Registered Nurse and Accredited Mental Health Nurse
Naomi Martin – Receptionist
Carmen Edmondson Practice Manager and Bookkeeper.